Monday, September 23, 2013

Families were created to be eternal (Sept. 9)

Dear Family,


I am so grateful for this gospel and to know that no matter what happens in this life we can be together forever. I know that Heavenly Father has provided a way for us to be united eternally. I am so sad about President Mower, but I am comforted in knowing that he is in a better place and that he can be with his family forever. What would we do without this knowledge?! I know the plan of salvation is real. God has a plan for all of us. Life does not end at death, family relations do not end at death. Families were created to be eternal and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has provided a way for all of us. I am so grateful for the temple and for the reality of temple covenants. I am just so comforted and know that everything will be ok.


Papa, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! On this day more than ever I am so grateful to have you as my father. I am grateful for the role model you have been to me and for the righteous choices you have made. Thank you for being an influence for good in my life. I am soo sorry that I didn't get your birthday card to you earlier! I am sending it to you today though so you should be getting it soon :) I hope that this is a very special and blessed birthday for you. I love you and am always praying for you. Thank you for providing for me, for loving me, and for leading me by example. You are awesome and I love you!

So I have been praying this week that I would have some good miracles to share with you on your birthday, and I have some good ones for you!

1. Jason:
So since Sister Gordon and I are white washing this area and have absolutely NO investigators and only like 5 leads, we have been trying to spend as much time out in our area as possible and are doing our very best to talk with everyone. We were out trying to contact this one former investigator and boy it was a struggle to find his house! We felt really strongly that we needed to see this one guy so we persevered. FINALLY we found his house and... nobody was home. It was just then that we noticed a ysa aged guy across the street checking his mail. He had gone back into his house and then I said to sister Gordon, "Let's do something spontaneous and go knock on that guys door.". Can't lie he was kinda intimidating looking with lots of tattoos and you could tell he had been through dome hard times. Normally we do not knock doors in our mission so this was kind of a big deal. Sister Gordon was kinda nervous, but said that she would follow my lead. I had no idea what I was going to say- we don't trackt- I don't even know how to spell it!- in our mission so this was my first time! I said a little prayer in my heart and thought about what Nephi said, "I was led by the spirit not knowing beforehand the things which I should do". So I took a deep breath and knocked on his door. The guy answered the door and a cute gabby looking dog sprang out. Then Jason introduced himself and he was super nice! We told him that we are missionaries for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He told us that he recently got out of jail and that he wanted to go to church. Sweet! We had a great conversation with him and then we gave him a Book of Mormon to read. He told us that he had started reading it in prison and then he went on to tell us about Nephi and Lehi! Awesome! We are going back to teach him this week :) Moral of the story don't be afraid! If the spirit prompts you to do something, do it! I am grateful that Heavenly Father blessed me with that opportunity to strengthen my faith in Him.

2. Renee:
So the other day we were in our area and we only had like 30 minutes before we were supposed to be at this big stake meeting. Well we were driving down the road when all the sudden Sister Gordon yells, doggy!She then pulled over the car and ran out. What the? Sister Gordon LOVES animals and she always wants to try to save them haha. So this poor little pup was walking down the street by himself and she decided that we needed to find his owner. Can't lie I was kinda impatient and really wanted to just leave the dog and go visit more people. But, we decided to go ahead and call the number on the dogs tag. The number was for an animal registartion place and they then gave us the phone number for the owner. I called the number and I recognized that it was a phone for a deaf person- they have people that answer their calls and then sign them what is being said via video. So we left the lady a message saying we found her dog. I thought we were done and that we tried and had done our best, but sister Gordon could not stand the thought of leaving that poor dog out there all by himself. So we walked down a block or so and tried to find anybody outside to give the dog to. Nobody. We picked a random street and went down it. We walked up to the first house and I got a weird feeling and told sister Gordon we should leave and go to the one next door. So we walked to the next door neighbors house and rang the door bell. A woman answered and Sister Gordon started to tell her why we were there. I noticed that the woman wasn't saying anything, and that she was just pointing to the dog and then to herself. She then signed thank you and then I understood that it was her dog!! Sister Gordon and I were just kinda in shock and handed the dog over to her. As we were walking away we knew that we had to tell the Elders over the deaf branch about our miracle! They were super excited and went over the next day. They introduced themselves and talked with her about our purpose as missionaries. They talked with her about the deaf branch and invited her to come. She said she would come! Moral of the story live your life in such a way that you will be in the right places at the right times. God will place people- or pets- in your path that you will be able bless and uplift :)

OH MY GOSH. so craziness that Imani and Sierra (roomy from BYUI) moved into my ward!!!!!!! I was just standing there greeting people in the foyer when guess who walks in? Yeah I just about died. How cool though! I thought for sure I was being transferred out of Gable ward because Imani was planning on moving into an apartment with some girls in that ward. Well plans changed and she just happened to move into the ward that I am now serving in! It was sooo cool to get to sit with them in sacrament meeting and sunday school :) We then went to the stake pot luck and broadcast. How did I get sooo lucky?? I am just so excited to get to use these two in lessons and to go on splits! :D So crazy hahahaha! 

So I went to my first mlc meeting this week (missionary leadership council). It was so crazy being in a meeting with the zone leaders, AP's and President and Sister Jenkins (and of course the other sister trainers). I felt pretty out of place! I know I am going to learn a lot from this calling and I just pray that Heavenly Father will qualify me. I definitely have a testimony of that- I am SUPER unqualified and inadequate to even be allowed to be a missionary, but with the Lord's help I have learned that I truly can do all things. That goes for all of you! You may feel small and unprepared, but the Lord will help you. He will help you to be what He needs you to be :)

Exchanges start tomorrow! I am going with Sister West and Hartley. I will be staying at the Christensen's again! I am just excited and I can't wait to share my experiences with all of you :)

In district meeting this week we talked a lot about the promises of the Lord. I shared one of my favorite promises of the Lord which is found in Romans 8:16-18. 

 16 The Spirit itself beareth awitness with our bspirit, that we are the cchildren of God:  17 And if children, then heirs; aheirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we bsuffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.  18 For I reckon that the asufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the bglory which shall be revealed cin us.
I am so grateful for this promise. Heavenly Father has promised us all that He has. We are promised to be joint heirs with Christ- what an honor! What a blessing! I am so grateful for my Savior and that He has made this possible for all of us. 
I love you all soo much and I hope that you have a great week! Papa, have a wonderful birthday. I am so grateful for your life and for the role you have had in my life. I love you so much!
Love you all!!!!
Love,
Sister Hamstead