Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hitting the ground running (Oct 28)

Dear family,

It is freaking me out how fast time is going!!! It really hit me this last week in prep meeting when we started practicing for Christmas lights. I realized that there are only about 4 that were there for Christmas lights last year. I almost feel like it's kinda like a mid-life crisis. I am realizing how quickly time is speeding by and it makes me so sad!!! I am grateful that I can look back on my mission and not feel any regret for the way that I have served. I have loved every minute- which sometimes was a hard thing to do! But I have decided not to dwell on the fact that time is running out and just keep my mind focused on the time that lies before me. I love being a missionary!! It is the best and most fulfilling thing I have ever done. 


The VC - my home!
So anyways this week was insanely busy!!! On our weekly planning day I was checking our progress so far and felt like we just really weren't accomplishing much. I decided to calculate how many hours we had open to be in our area for the week- it didn't take very long... this past week we had a grand total of 6- yes SIX hours in our area. That is over an entire week. We had a meeting nearly every single day and then with the extra hours for studies due to training and language study for sister T, we just were hardly in the area! A regular missionary gets anywhere from 45-55 hours a week. This next week we are going to have about 12 hours- improvement! haha No I just think it's funny, and you know it is really teaching me that I can NOT do this on my own!! I have to pray harder than ever that Heavenly Father will consecrate our efforts. On Saturday our district decided to fast together and the goal was for every companionship to find at least one new investigator. We had faith and even though we were only going to have about 2 hours in our area that day we prayed that Heavenly Father would help us, and that He would lead us to the people in our area who are prepared to receive the gospel. We got out of the VC at 3 and then we just hit the ground running! We were talking to as many people as we could and we met many great people! We were running out of time and we still hadn't found an investigator. But we didn't give up! We went to this one former investigators house. It was a family who had been taught in the past. We decided to give them a try. We pull up and the wife was outside. We talked to her and she was super friendly and open! She told us that she loves the church and even believes that it is true. She just has some issue with the change in life style. We talked with her and had a great discussion about how this gospel will truly bless her and her family. I am so grateful that I can honestly testify of that to people. The gospel has brought me more blessings in my life that anything else. Anyways we are going to start teaching her and her family!! It was a miracle!! 

With Sister T
So another miracle from this last week. Sister T and I go running every morning and we take pass along cards and other things to give away with us. We saw this man and he asked if we were the missionaries in the area. We told him we were- but it turns out that he actually lives out of our area... oh well!- and he gave us his name and info and told us to come by. The whole way home I was just repeating his info over and over again in my head so that I wouldn't forget it haha! You know what my memory is like! 

So some of the meetings we had this week were:
-district meeting: great! I gave a training on finding. So timely! I felt impressed to focus on having the faith to find. I think it really was more for me than anyone else
-all sisters training: Soo fun! All the sisters in the mission came together and we talked about health and dress, etc. At the end we had a giant clothing exchange. That made me happy! :) haha
-3 week training meeting: can you believe the transfer is half way over?! Sister T has been out 3 weeks now! This meeting was focused on helping the new missionaries and seeing how they are doing. Sister T is awesome! I just wish I knew how to best help her with the language. I have never had to deal with that before. I know that it will just take time and practice. Keep her in your prayers!
-Prep Meeting: Christmas is coming!! I can't believe it!! Did I tell you they started putting up the lights at the beginning of this month?

Sunday we had the primary program in one of our wards. soooo cute!!!! 

So a miracle from the VC. So there was this man that Sister Gordon gave to me and it had been a few months since he had been called. He was not interested the last time he was called so I was kind of nervous to call... but Sister T and I decided to try! SO we called him and he answered! Much to my surprise he told me that he is meeting with the missionaries regularly and that he is now ready to take this step of faith by being baptized. I was so shocked I just didn't even know what to say! Thankfully we were talking to him on the phone so he couldn't see the look on my face haha One of the greatest thing I have been able to witness as a missionary is how the spirit works on people. Peoples hearts become softened as they learn the truth of the gospel. It is amazing to see people apply the atonement of Jesus Christ and actively change their lives. I LOVE being a missionary!! 

I was thinking this week about some of the greatest lessons I have learned on my mission so far and one that came to mind is prayer. Through different experiences I have truly learned to use prayer. It has been such a blessing to me. We all need to know that we have a loving Heavenly Father and that He is aware of us. He answers our prayers. This has helped me through the good times and the hard times. I am so grateful for prayer :)

Anyways family, I love you all sooo much! I hope you all have a wonderful Halloween!! I will be on shift at the VC that night.... not really sure who is going to come in on Halloween.... I am kind of hoping that we will close early so we can go to our ward activities and meet more people.

Send me pics!! 
Have a great week!!
Love,
Sister Hamstead